Want to take better care of your skin and create a skincare routine but don't quite know what beauty products you should be using, why you should be using them or what order to use them in? We've got you girl!
Follow this 8 step daytime skincare routine for flawlessly prepped skin & step out into the world confidently, whether bare & beautiful or beat to the gods, with your best face forward.
While the Winter season brings everlasting memories with loved ones, hot chocolate and breathtaking snowfalls it also calls forth that god awful dry, dull, flaky & dehydrated skin that seems impossible to manage. Lucky for you, we've gathered some of our favorite items to keep your skin looking healthy, plump and hydrated all season long.
Step 1: Gentle Cleanser
Cleanse your skin and remove makeup or oils with a lightweight & gentle cleanser. Doing so will gently remove impurities without irritating the skin or disturbing pH levels to prevent dehydration, dry or dull skin & excess oil production.
- Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser, $9.52. Buy Now at Amazon
- Ponds Cold Cream, $2.97. Buy Now at Amazon
- Kiehls Ultra Facial Cleanser, $20. Buy Now at Sephora
Step 2: Toner
Use toner after cleansing your face to shrink your pores & remove any traces of remaining oils. Toner also softens the skin by restoring its pH balance and prepares you to receive all of the nutrients you will be applying in the next few steps.
- Fresh Rose Floral Toner, $40. Buy Now at Sephora
- Mario Badescu Facial Spray With Aloe, Herbs, Rosewater, $7. Buy Now at Ulta
- OleHenriksen Pure Nurture Facial Water, $22. Buy Now at Sephora
Step 3: Serum
This lightweight, potent potion is like the fountain of youth in a bottle. It's packed with highly concentrated antioxidant, anti-inflammatory & moisture locking ingredients that, due to their thin texture, can penetrate deeper into the layers of your skin to ensure you reap more of the benefits they have to offer.
- OleHenriksen Truth Serum, $48. Buy Now at Sephora
- Drunk Elephant Virgin Marula Luxury Facial Oil, $40. Buy Now at Sephora
- First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Hydrating Serum, $36. Buy Now at Sephora
Step 4: Eye Cream
Are your fine lines, puffy eye bags and darks circles letting the world know just how little sleep you've been getting?! Well don't worry - thanks to these powerful eye creams, you can reverse the signs on aging on the delicate skin around your eyes in a cinch.
- OleHenriksen Banana Bridget Eye Creme, $38. Buy Now at Sephora
- Clinique Pep-Start Eye Cream, $26.50. Buy Now at Sephora
- Neutrogena Hydro-Boost Eye Gel Cream, $19.99. Buy Now at Ulta
Step 5: Moisturize
Not only will applying moisturizer prior to primer & foundation allow your makeup to go on smoothly for a flawless finish, it will also keep skin issues such as redness, oiliness, dryness and flaking at bay. Plus, it will tame any fine lines and keep your skin looking healthy and hydrated. These are our favorites for an extra hydrating effect:
- Kiehls Ultra Facial Cream SPF 30, $29.50. Buy Now at Sephora
- OleHenriksen Brightening Gel Creme, $44. Buy Now at Sephora
- Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel, $12.38. Buy Now at Ulta
Step 6: Sunscreen
Keep your skin looking younger by protecting it everyday from harmful UV rays, even on cloudy days. Doing so can prevent dark spots & fine lines from forming, giving you a smooth and even complexion.
- Colorescience Sunforgettable Brush on Sunscreen, $65. Buy at Dermstore
- It Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Cream with SPF 50, $38. Buy Now at Ulta
- Neutrogena Hydroboost Gel SPF 50, $19.99. Buy Now at Amazon
Step 7: Primer
Prep your skin properly before foundation for a natural finish with primer. Primer acts as a base coat to smooth your skin, reduce the size of pores & control oil production to keep your makeup looking silky smooth and crease free. While there are tons of primer out there, all designed for different skin types, these are our top favorites:
- Farsali Unicorn Essence Antioxidant Primer Serum, $54. Buy Now at Sephora
- Too Faced Hangover Replenishing Face Primer, $34. Buy Now at Too Faced
- Too Faced Primed & Poreless Skin Smoothing Face Primer, $30. Buy Now at Too Faced
Step 8: Eye Primer
To make sure your eyeshadow blends easily, lasts all day long & looks fresh with no creases, be sure to prep those lids with eye primer. These are some of our favorites to get the job done:
- Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion Anti-Aging, $24. Buy Now at Sephora
- Too Faced Shadow Insurance, $20. Buy Now at Too Faced
- Smashbox 24 Hour Photo Finish Shadow Primer, $21. Buy Now at Sephora
Tip: Skincare products are made to cater to different skin types - from dry & sensitive to oily & acne prone, so we recommend sticking to products that match your skin type for the best results. Don't be afraid to experiment with different brands and lines until you find your holy grail items that keep you and your skin happy!